Sunburns in children are the most common type of thermal burns. In order to prevent the deterioration of the health of the child under the influence of the scorching sun, it is best to take preventive measures. The skin of the baby, unlike the skin of an adult, is not able to fully perceive the sun's rays.
How to understand that the child got a sunburn?
If a child has sunburn, his skin becomes red and the baby experiences pain and discomfort when you touch it. When severe sunburns on the skin of the baby can appear blisters, the skin can swell and the child may shiver.
Sunburn occurs as a result of excessive amounts of ultraviolet light that gets on the skin under the influence of the sun. But it is worth remembering that sunburn can appear not only in summer but also in winter. For example, when the sunlight is reflected from the snow.
What is the best way to mitigate the effects of sunburn in a child?
Some tricks will help alleviate burns and speed recovery:
· Under the influence of a burn comes dehydration. So make sure that your baby drinks enough liquid. If the child’s age does not exceed six months, it is necessary to increase the number of breastfeeds per day.
· It is necessary to soothe the burned skin of the baby. To do this, it is necessary to moisten a diaper, or a piece of natural fabric in cool water and apply to reddened skin for 10-15 minutes several times a day. However, make sure that the child is not overcooling. Also, do not put pieces of ice on the reddened burnt skin.
· It is necessary to apply a water-based moisturizing lotion, or sunburn gel, on burned skin to soften the skin. This will help to avoid the itchiness that occurs when you peel the skin.
Reception of children's paracetamol can relieve pain and fever.
· Do not be afraid of exfoliating the skin of a baby - this is the first sign of wound healing, this process usually starts 3 to 10 days after burning. At the time of wound healing, it is best to put on a baby spacious clothing made of natural materials that will not come into contact with irritated skin.
It is best to consult a doctor for burns, because the specialist will be able to see the danger of complications, and you may not pay attention to it. Just one phone call to the burn center can save your baby. It is better to be safe and take the baby to the doctor than to treat the burn yourself.
Remember that the baby’s skin is not yet fully capable of producing the pigment melanin, which makes it golden and tanned. Experts do not recommend to go to the sea with a baby up to three years, because it can be dangerous to his health. If you still decided to go to the sea coast with a child - do not leave him in the sun, let the baby be under a canopy. Remember that the child should be protected as much as possible from exposure to the sun: the best time to stay in the sun with a babyuntil 11 in the morning.In addition, it is worth to go to the sea with the baby for at least a month, since the first 10 days are spent on adaptation.
How to avoid sunburn?
· Do not forget about sunscreen: without it the baby is contraindicated. be in the sun. Careful stay in the sun will protect the baby's skin from premature aging in more mature age.
· Avoid being in direct sunlight from 11.00 to 15.00.
· Wear a baby in spacious clothes made of natural fabrics and panama, hats, so that the sun does not fall on the sensitive body.
· Wipe your baby after bathing: droplets on the body can perform the function of multiple lenses and even more attract the sun.